Thursday, February 21, 2008

Camping -- Barnett Style



So this past weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to spend four days with my family in New Mexico. We all met up in Albuquerque and then travelled to Alto, NM (just outside Ruidoso) to stay at my dad's "cabin" in the woods.



It really is in the woods, but not so much a traditional cabin. It was VERY comfortable, with all the amenities us Barnetts prefer in our camping: The hot tub here is of course one of the key amenities I was thrilled to enjoy throughout the weekend. Nothing like the pure quiet of the mountains and the incredible view of the moon and stars while sitting in 102 degree water with jacuzzi jets massaging your troubles away...

I thought I'd include a few photos of the area so folks could see this really is in the mountains.

There were so many deer everywhere, I loved this sign.




For those Laura Ingalls Wilder fans, one of my dad's neighbors (if you can't read it, the sign says "Little House in the Big Woods").







My husband couldn't join us this time around, so my brother had the honor of all computer related duties. He spent several hours in this position Saturday morning, but he seemed to really enjoy it in the end. Besides, Dad is now set up with an iPod and Audible books, which is quite the accomplishment.




Finally, a picture of "the boys" -- Dad and Janet's dogs Divot and Bogey as they get ready for a walk in the cold mountain air. They're hilarious little guys.


I got away from the weekend without taking pictures of my brother and sister-in-law together, but they are such a great couple it was really fun to be with them. Even more exciting and fun for me, Kristin invited me to feel little baby girl Barnett as she moved one night. Kristin is about 5 months pregnant, and this little girl is already incredibly active, kicking away pretty regularly and I got to feel her doing little flips--pretty sure I actually felt her little head roll by! How cool is that?!

All in all, a fabulous family weekend and a great time of rest. This is the kind of "camping" I love.

1 comment:

Grandma Charla said...

My kind of camping too!
Glad you had a good time with your family.