Monday, December 31, 2007

Take Two: Ending 2007

So I'm taking a break from the political candidate posts for today. I do plan to return to the subject and you can expect to read about anti-First Amendment candidates Fred Thompson and John McCain, as well as why I don't trust Rudy and consider Romney to be the best of the rest. Ultimately, I will make my Ron Paul pitch (if you're curious now, you can read Ron Paul on the issues and also read his statement of faith).

For now I wanted to spend a few minutes thinking about the close of 2007. I have no real profound thoughts, but this is a unique year for me. I turned 30 in 2007, bought my first home with my husband, spent my first real time as a stepmom, began work as lead counsel on a very difficult (but also rewarding) case, and gained way too much weight. No excuses, of course, but it does seem to me the first three contributed significantly to the last. Which tells me a lot about my need to develop more self-control and stress-coping mechanisms!

Some specific thoughts. I won't designate these as New Years Resolutions, per se, mainly because my plan is to make some permanent changes and not just 2008 (or January 2008) commitments.


1. Get off the couch, away from the tv, and spend some quality time in thought, prayer, and with the Bible each day. I have the perfect place for this, too, with our lovely and cozy back porch, complete with bench swing thanks to my generous mother-in-law. Until the heat of summer sets in, this is a great place for a cup of coffee and quality time alone.




2. Use the home gym we've put together. John and I were very blessed when we bought our home that we were also able to put together money to buy home gym equipment. We have used it a bit--John certainly more than I--but we have excellent home equipment in our backyard cottage a short walk from the house.
No excuses left, it's time to really learn what all that talk about endorphins is about!

And quit using the Ab Lounger I started off loving as a place to drape clothes and coats...
(BTW -- for those who wonder, I think this thing is TOTALLY worth the price: it's the best back-stretcher we've found, in addition to being a relatively easy but very effective ab workout).



So that sums up my goals for the coming year and years to come. I'd love to hear what some of you who read this are thinking about for your own goals.

In the meantime, I'd best get back to work; a few more hours on this brief to close out 2007!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, This is great stuff! Keep it coming! Soon you'll have your own "ditto heads" out there!--Chelsea & Jeremy